On December 17, Citizens for Smart Growth in St. Charles County held its inaugural fundraising event at Defiance Ridge Vineyards. Over one hundred supporters attended the sold-out event which included dinner and live entertainment by Michael Shaerer, and prominent public officials. Missouri State Representative Richard West and St. Charles County Councilmen Joe Brazil and Tim Baker created an environment of collaborative discussions as attendees sought to ensure development is consistent with the surrounding land uses and rural values of both southern & western St. Charles County.
St. Charles County Councilman Joe Brazil spoke to the supporters and outlined key focus areas, urging citizens to:
1. Elect local officials committed to “smart growth” principles.
2. Actively participate in local Planning & Zoning and Aldermen/Council meetings to voice their views.
3. Engage in the St. Charles County master plan update process.
4. Support efforts to revise annexation statutes, limiting the influence of special interests.
5. Back the initiative to transition Defiance to a 4th Class municipality with 5-acre minimum lot sizes.
Supporters can stay informed and engaged by visiting www.smartgrowthscc.com and joining the Facebook Group “Citizens for Smart Growth in St. Charles County”.
The organizers are grateful for the community's support and look forward to continued collaboration in 2024, emphasizing that a united voice is essential to preserving the unique rural character of St. Charles County. To assist and support the organization, you can:
• Stay Vigilant & Be Vocal - As the City of O'Fallon evaluates annexation on the Tall Tree Hwy DD Development and other ill-proposed projects that threaten rural St. Charles County, communicate your opposition to the City officials and the P & Z Commission and attend those monthly meetings.
• Spread the Word - Encourage friends, neighbors, and your HOA to join the cause. High-density development affects not only the residents in this area but anyone who enjoys the Busch Wildlife Area, Broemmelsiek Park, and other attractions.
• Volunteer - Become a neighborhood representative by reaching out through the website.
• Make Financial Contributions - Support the critical legal battle against ill-designed projects & annexations by contributing to Citizens for Smart Growth in St. Charles County, LLC. There are several options to donate: VENMO
@smartgrowthSCC, by check made payable to “Citizens for Smart Growth in St. Charles County, LLC,” P.O. Box 42, 7827 Town Square Avenue, Suite 104, O'Fallon, MO 63368.
Citizens for Smart Growth in St. Charles County again thanks the community for the support of this fundraising event. The organizers appreciate the efforts and donations everyone has put into keeping the Tall Tree Development from progressing as planned. Please stay informed and alert of city and county issues that will affect this and future developments. This issue is far from over.