Submitted by: Julie Loika--Faith in Action Coordinator for the Heritage Cluster of UCC Churches
On September 17th and18th, over 50 members from local United Church of Christ congregations donned bright orange t-shirts for the tenth annual Faith in Action weekend of service. Members formed teams and spent the weekend doing service projects throughout Southwestern St. Charles County and Southeastern Warren County. This annual program began in 2007 as an off-shoot of mission trips to the New Orleans area following Hurricane Katrina. Participants wanted to share that same spirit of giving here in our local communities, and are proud that the tradition has resulted in a decade of focused service. Volunteers of all ages spread throughout the area to provide helping hands and smiles to area residents by participating in these projects:
• The Hymn Sing Team made a little joyful noise. They sang old time hymns with residents at two nursing care facilities in Washington, MO.
• The Odd Jobbers Team helped with various tasks at Our Lady’s Inn located in Defiance, MO. The volunteers helped tag items for sale at fundraising events and prepared lunch for the residents and staff.
• The Assembly Team assembled 100 food boxes and 40 hygiene kits. The food boxes will be distributed to local food banks throughout Missouri and the hygiene kits will be distributed through various service agencies around the globe.
• The Helping Hands Team worked at the Emmaus Homes Marthasville campus. They did yard work around the Friendship Pond located on the property. The pond was donated to the residents by the Missouri Department of Conservation Department and had been neglected in recent years. Thanks to the work done by the volunteers, residents can once again enjoy the peaceful setting.
• The Meal Delivery Team hit the road to deliver 28 chicken dinners to area homebound neighbors and friends.
These UCC churches are part of the Heritage Cluster. Participating churches included Ebenezer UCC, Augusta; Faith UCC, Wentzville; Femme Osage UCC, Femme Osage; Friedens Peace UCC, New Melle; Immanuels UCC, Holstein; St. John’s UCC, Cappeln; St. Paul’s UCC, Defiance and St. Paul’s UCC, Marthasville. If you’d like more information on any of these churches, or have a service project you’d like them to consider, contact the Friedens Peace UCC church office at 636-828-5980
Nylin Bathke, Jamie Bathke and Karen Watson assemble hygiene kits.
Volunteers clearing brush at Friendship Pond on the Marthasville Emmaus Home campus.
Longtime neighbors Leland Nadler & Janet Fuhr catch up in between songs at Cedarcrest Manor.
Hazel Roever tagging items at Our Lady’s Inn that will be sold at future fundraising events