On September 16th and17th, over 70 members from local United Church of Christ congregations donned bright orange t-shirts for the eleventh annual Faith in Action weekend of service.
Members formed teams and spent the weekend doing service projects throughout Southwestern St. Charles County and Southeastern Warren County. This annual program began in 2007 as an off-shoot of mission trips to the New Orleans area following Hurricane Katrina. What began with Hurricane Katrina continues through aid which will now be sent to those recovering from Hurricanes Harvey & Irma.
Volunteers from teens to seniors spread throughout the area to provide helping hands and smiles to area residents by participating in these projects:
- The Hymn Sing Team made a little joyful noise. They sang old time hymns with residents at three nursing care facilities in Washington, MO.
- The Odd Jobbers Team helped with various tasks at Our Lady's Inn located in Defiance, MO. The volunteers helped ready a room for a new resident and prepared lunch for the residents and staff.
- The Assembly Team assembled 100 food boxes and 115 health kits. The food boxes will be distributed to local food banks throughout Missouri and the health kits will likely be distributed to those recovering from the recent hurricanes. Cash donations of over $200 were also collected and will be distributed through the UCC Disaster Relief Fund.
- The Helping Hands Team worked for the Emmaus Home organization. They did yard work around two homes in the Marthasville area.
- The Meal Delivery Team hit the road to deliver 25 chicken dinners to area homebound neighbors and friends. Deliveries ranged from Defiance, through Augusta and into the Treloar and Warrenton areas.
Volunteers at Faith UCC in Wentzville assembling the Family Food Packs
Donna Curdt and Pauline Commons. Pauline is a former choir member and helped sing every hymn with the volunteers.
+Hazel Roever, Connie Triller and Loretta Micke preparing a room at Our Lady’s Inn for a new resident.