The Augusta Heritage Foundation was formed in 2016 for the purpose of preserving and renovating the Augusta American Legion facility as a Community and Cultural Arts Center. The building, dating back to the 1860s, has a rich history in the community.
It was first used by the Augusta Harmonie Verein – a musical society made up of local German immigrants – to host community concerts and events. In the 1920s the building was purchased by the Augusta American Legion and became known as the Augusta American Legion Hall.
It is the desire of the Augusta Heritage Foundation to preserve the building as “The Harmonie Verein” where it will continue to serve as an important venue for a variety of community gatherings, including cultural art events, musical concerts/dances, wedding receptions, as well as other social/economic events and activities.
As part of the preservation efforts, volunteers began giving the iconic gazebo on the property a facelift last fall. While some work has been done, more is needed. At this point, the organization needs cash donations as well as labor. Volunteers with construction, painting, and plumbing experience are needed, as well as just some plain old “elbow grease” to scrap paint. Efforts to book the venue for various events have been pretty successful, so the work needs to be done in a timely manner. The gazebo needs to be done by May.
If you can help, please call Mary at 636-219-3328. You can also make a cash donation at www.augustaheritagefoundation.org.
Donations of money, time and expertise are needed to help refurbish
the Harmonie Verein Gazebo by May.
Some of the upcoming events planned for the Harmonie Verein include:
• Masquerade Ball Feb. 10th For more information click here.
• Americana Night: Saturday, March 17, 2018, featuring the tunes of John Alsop and Friends! 8 to 11 p.m. Mark your calendar and check www.augustaheritagefoundation.org for tickets and more information to come.
• Symphony Dinner and Concert: The second annual Symphony Dinner and Concert will be Saturday, April 21, 2018 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. Enjoy a wonderful three course sit down dinner followed by a concert presented by Chamber Project St. Louis. Tickets will be available via the website mentioned above.
• Augusta Plein Air event: April 18 – 29, 2018. Visit www.augustapleinair.com.
• Spring Round-Up Dance: May 5th – Music by the very popular “Texas Giants” and a display of kid’s artwork from last year’s Arts Camp.
NOTE: The Father-Daughter Dance, originally planned for Feb. 17, has been postponed till later this Spring. A new date will be announced as soon possible.