During the past several months, the dedicated staff of St. Charles County Parks and Recreation Department have remained busy and have been working hard for you! Keeping the parks maintained and open for your enjoyment is something our staff takes pride in doing, day in and day out. But that's not all! We've also been enhancing facilities and developing new areas in the parks. Here's a look at some of the progress we've made.
- A new Phoenix Composting Restroom opened at The Park at New Melle Lakes. This advanced system was installed off the main parking lot and is already getting considerable use. Complying with guidelines from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the composting restroom transforms human waste into a rich, well-stabilized mulch. It's not only environmentally friendly, but odorless, too! This spacious amenity offers a toilet, sink with running water, and hand sanitizer.
- Other composting restrooms already established in our parks were also upgraded to comply with new EPA regulations. To do so, each unit had to be converted and new water lines installed. Now that the work is complete, these composting restrooms offer potable water (safe to drink) and are available for use.
- New sod was installed in the 3-acre Off-Leash Dog Area at Veterans Tribute Park. The thick, plush grass was laid near the shelter and other areas of the popular dog park. This improvement was necessary to deter erosion and create a more durable green space for the large and small dogs to play.
- The inside complex of the Youth Activity Park got a fresh coat of paint. This interior project is just the beginning of a series of upgrades the park is anticipated to receive over the next several months. Other improvements include, updating the Park Masterplan, adding new amenities and opening the largest asphalt pump track in the country in 2020.
- Renovations to the Landhaus at The Park at New Melle Lakes are coming along. Soon, this elegant facility will be available to reserve for your next formal or informal wedding, reunion or party. Overlooking a gorgeous 23-acre lake with fountain views, the existing house on the property accommodates more than 100 guests and comes with outdoor seating and lighting. The oversized decorative patio features beautiful stone columns and ornamental railing. Inside, staff continue to convert two large powder rooms into a spacious bride's suite and a groom's quarters. Fresh paint is being applied and new furniture ordered.
A new Phoenix Composting Restroom opened at The Park at New Melle Lakes.