By Dianne Sudbrock
The New Melle Board of Aldermen met Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at City Hall. Present were Mayor Rich West, Aldermen Nik Bradley, Don Hendrich, Gary Schneider and Janet Karrenbrock, Attorney Steve Martin and City Clerk Savanna Burton.
In open forum Brian Nelson (a P&Z commissioner) reported there had been a traffic accident at the intersection of Peter and Schutzen Streets. Nelson, who lives near the intersection, said people often cut through the streets of town hoping to avoid traffic backups on D and Z. Nelson said there are no traffic control signs at that intersection, and asked the board to consider stop signs. Mayor West said the matter would be placed on the agenda for the next meeting, and he would ask for public input on the idea. He and some of the other aldermen stated they would drive the streets of town and look at other intersections as well.
Nelson also asked about mosquito control and if St. Charles County could spray. The mayor will inquire, and also ask about the standing water problem on the park property at the corner of Foristell Road and Hwy. Z.
The Finance Reports were reviewed. Copies for publication should be available later this month. It was noted that sales tax revenue was down almost $3,000 (-7.2%) compared to the same time period in 2018. (2018 January-June was $41,511.88; 2019 January-June was $38,521.78.)
The Building and Code Enforcement reports were reviewed with little comment.
A couple of minor projects (basement remodel and fence installation) were mentioned in the Engineering Report. Street repair and sidewalk project bids were discussed under new business.
As discussed last month, an ordinance (#422) was approved authorizing the mayor to execute agreements with St. Charles County to provide various services, including code enforcement.
In Old Business:
• City of New Melle v. Sullivan et al lawsuit: Nothing new to report. A court date has been set for November 19-20, 2019.
• City entrance signs: The cost of $7295 per sign has been increased by $900 per sign for break-away aluminum posts rather than wood posts, increasing the total cost for two signs to $16,390.00. The new signs will be placed on Hwy. Z near S. Point Prairie Road, and on Hwy. D east of Hopewell Road – but first must go through 4 steps of MoDOT approval, so it will be several months before they will be installed.
• Trail from the Park at New Melle Lakes into town: No new discussion.
• Regarding Land Use restrictions related to the manufacture and sale of cannabis, no new action has occurred towards creating an ordinance.
• Regarding a drop-dead date for failing to obtain a Business License, at Mayor West’s suggestion, the board voted to have Attorney Martin add a June 1st deadline for failing to obtain a business license. A revised ordinance with specified penalties/consequences should be available to discuss at the next meeting.
• Regarding a past inquiry of whether the city would consider selling the city's cell tower lease, Mayor West provided the inquiring company with some documentation, but no further communication has ensued.
• Foristell Road pavement: Cochran was directed to prepare a bid package for crack sealing to be completed before winter.
In New Business:
• Comprehensive Plan: A date for a public hearing on the Comprehensive plan is tentatively scheduled for August 6th – which would be the same night as the regular P&Z meeting. Mayor West commended the P&Z Commission, especially Chairman Ken Birk, for the hours and effort spent on the plan, along with the consultant, Todd Streiler. A copy of the draft plan is available for review at City Hall.
• A bid of $36,196.00 from Karrenbrock Construction, Inc. to repair streets in the Sycamore Creek Subdivision was accepted with a vote of 3 Yeas, 0 nays, and Alderwoman Karrenbrock abstaining. Other bidders were: K.J.U. Inc. dba J.K. .Unnerstall Construction Co. - $37,296.00; Sweetens Concrete Services, LLC - $41,410.41; Budrovich Concrete, LLC - $45,609.50; Lamke Trenching and Excavating, Inc. - $46,254.00; and Pavement Solutions, LLC – $54,444.70.
• A bid of $36,650.00 from K.J.U Inc. dba K.J. Unnerstall Construction Co. for extending the sidewalk on the east side of Hwy. Z in front of New Melle Sports and Rec was accepted with a vote of 3 Yeas, 0 nays, and Alderwoman Karrenbrock abstaining. Other bidders were: Sweetens Concrete Services, LLC - $40,400.40; Karrenbrock Construction, Inc. - $44,117.00 and Lamke Trenching and Excavating, Inc. - $48,668.00.
• The porch on the west side of City Hall was discussed. The city has been expecting a cost estimate to repair or replace the porch from a contractor that had previously done some work on city hall. Alderman Hendrich will follow up.
The meeting adjourned at 7:38 p.m. The next Board of Aldermen meeting is scheduled for August 13, 2019.